Preparedness for emergencies and disasters, as well as the prevention of accidents is a serious concern of those who care for children in the home, at school, and in the community. Activities to promote safety/injury prevention can be incorporated in all PTA interests.
What PTA Can Do
- Encourage participation in the annual creation and/or review of the school’s safety and emergency/disaster preparedness plans and share the plans with the membership and the community. Involve students in this process where appropriate.
- Become familiar with PTA publications that may be free or available for purchase from the California State PTA office. Refer to California State PTA positions statements and resolutions.
- Establish an ongoing working relationship with the school district and safety agencies within the community (i.e., local branches of the National Safe Kids Coalition and the National Safe Routes to Schools Partnership, local law enforcement and government agencies). Attend safety workshops/conferences and clinics.
- Cooperate with school authorities to inform the public of these programs
- With the PTA program chairman, plan a safety program for at least one PTA meeting during the year. Secure guest speakers from community safety agencies. Make announcements and arrange displays, exhibits and posters at meetings.
- Sponsor parent-education safety awareness programs.
- Keep informed about all safety legislation in local, state, and federal government.
- Share all information with unit, council, district PTA and the California State PTA
Insurance and Loss Prevention Guide, mailed annually to PTA presidents; www.knightinsurance.net
User name: ptausers
California Safe Kids Coalition
1301 Stockton Blvd., Room 4302, Sacramento, CA 95817
California Attorney General’s Office
1300 I Street, Suite 1150, Sacramento, CA 95814
National Safety Council
421 North Michigan Ave., Chicago IL, 60611
Automobile Club of Southern California
2601 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA 90007
California State Automobile Association
150 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102
Local telephone directories – listings for first aid and/or survival guides