The Honorary Service Award (HSA) program encourages PTA/PTSA unit, council and district PTAs and the California State PTA to honor individuals or groups through donations to the HSA program fund of the California State PTA.
- To recognize deserving PTA/PTSA, school and community volunteers for outstanding service to children and youth.
- To provide funds for the scholarship and grant program, as defined in the California State PTA Toolkit.
What to Do
The unit HSA chairman, with a committee appointed by the president, shall
- study the various types of awards, the donation amounts and the criteria for selecting honorees for specific awards.
- publicize to the membership that the HSA selection committee will be meeting, and ask for suggestions for honorees. (A flier may be distributed requesting names and information.)
- meet for the specific purpose of selecting honorees. All proceedings must be kept confidential. Budget allocations must be observed.
- order specific awards, using the order forms in the California State PTA Toolkit (Forms). Pins may be ordered at the same time. (Allow four to six weeks for delivery.)
- arrange for presentation of awards at a meeting as determined by the executive board and the program committee (e.g., at a Founders Day program meeting or end-of-the-year luncheon).
- devise an innovative way to present the award(s), using a poem, skit or other unique way to praise the honorees’ accomplishments. Be sure to mention that the donation made to the California State PTA scholarship and grant program in each honoree’s name assists in the education of other individuals.
- arrange for families and friends of honorees to attend the presentation.
- give a copy of the biographical presentation to each honoree. Assign a committee member to take pictures for the honoree. Retain copies of the pictures, programs and biographies.
- write a summary of the event, and place it in the chairman’s procedure book.
- maintain accurate records of all awards in a permanent file.
The committee should be
- appointed early in the officers’ term to allow time for planning and ordering awards.
- composed of different members each year.
- representative of the school’s community.
- composed of an uneven number (five is suggested).
The applicants being considered should be recognized for outstanding service to children and youth and not necessarily for routine, assigned responsibilities or for retirement.
It is recommended that you avoid establishing a pattern such as always presenting an award to the outgoing president or retiring faculty members.
Remember to consider those who work behind the scenes, quietly and efficiently serving youth.
A list of volunteers to be considered for future recognition may be left in the procedure book. All other notes concerning recommendations should be destroyed.
Very Special Person Award (VSP): May be given to individuals or PTA constituent organizations to recognize having contributed to the school community in a special way.
Honorary Service Award (HSA): May be given to an individual or organization in the PTA, school or community in special recognition of outstanding service to children and youth.
Continuing Service Award (CSA): May be given to an individual or organization in the PTA, school or community for recognition of outstanding service to children and youth. This award may be given to a person whose contributions have been significant over a continuing period of time. The award may be given regardless of whether a recipient has previously received the California State PTA’s Honorary Service Award.
Golden Oak Service Award: May be given to an individual or organization that has made significant contributions to the welfare of children and youth in the PTA, school or community. This award should be given to recognize exceptional service to children and youth; it is the California State PTA’s most prestigious award.
Outstanding Teacher Award: May be given to a teacher in special recognition for outstanding service in positively impacting the lives and welfare of children and youth in the PTA, school, or community.
Outstanding Administrator Award: May be given to an administrator in special recognition for outstanding service in positively impacting the lives and welfare of children and youth in the PTA, school, or community.
Donations: May be given by PTAs or by individuals in tribute to a person, a group or in memoriam. The donation may be made in any amount. An acknowledgment card or certificate, as requested, will be sent when a donation of $10.00 or more is made. Anyone or any group may donate to the HSA program fund; the fund is not limited to contributions by PTAs.
An individual or organization may receive more than one HSA, CSA, Golden Oak Service Award, VSP Award or donation made in his/her/the organization’s name.
How to Order Awards or Make Donations
1. Use the printed order forms found in the California State PTA Toolkit (Forms). Make checks payable to California State PTA. Credit card authorizations may be used for both mail and FAX orders. The awards may be ordered only from the California State PTA c/o Kustom Imprints.
2. Allow up to 2 weeks for delivery. Send orders to
California State PTA
c/o Kustom Imprints
1661 N. Glassell Street
Orange, CA 92867
FAX Orders: 714.771.5798
For Information, Call:
3. When completing the order form, be sure to:
- Use the correct order form located in the California State PTA Toolkit (Forms). Pins may be ordered at the same time.
- Remember that an HSA, CSA, GOSA, OTA or OAA is only presented in one name, and only one pin is allocated per award.
NOTE: AWARDS (CERTIFICATES) AND PIN COSTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. SHARE IN THE HSA PROGRAM, A CONTINUING OPPORTUNITY TO HONOR SPECIAL PEOPLE AND ASSIST CHILDREN AND YOUTH.