Key Role – Room Representative Coordinator
- Works with the PTA president, principal and teachers to coordinate Room Representatives at the school to build stronger family-school partnerships to support student success
- Collaborates with other PTA board members, teachers and administrators to identify how parents can get more involved at school
- Oversees the recruitment and training for parent volunteers as Room Representatives for a classroom or grade level
- Promotes PTA goals, membership and activities on campus as a committee chairman or officer
- Preparation – Talk to the Coordinator from last year to ask questions and exchange ideas about what parent involvement looks like at your school and how it can be made even better. Review his/her procedure book and other materials such as school policies on volunteers and parent involvement to better understand the scope of your new position.
- Assessment – Get together with your PTA president, principal and lead teachers or department heads to identify the ways and options available for parents to assist with classroom activities, field trips and school events for the upcoming year. Develop a general list of volunteer opportunities to share with Room Representatives to help them get started.
- Contacts – Maintain a list or database with the names and contact information of Room Representatives. Work with school staff to obtain this information for PTA use only and remember to keep it confidential.
- Welcome – Develop and implement an outreach plan to introduce yourself, welcome Room Representatives in home languages and provide a general overview of why parent involvement matters and what it looks like at your school.
- Train – Hold a Room Representative orientation at the start of the school year. Provide handouts for the meeting with job descriptions and tips on how to promote inclusion so all families feel welcome and encouraged to get actively involved at school. Include information on school policies, school and PTA calendars and contact information for the PTA board, teachers and other Room representatives in the orientation packets. Invite your PTA president and principal to the meeting to welcome everyone and talk about the important role of Room Representatives at your school.
- Connect – As a PTA committee chairman or officer, keep everyone in the loop by holding committee meetings of Room Representatives, facilitating grade level information meetings for parents and providing reports at PTA meetings during the school year.
Other Useful Information
- Chairman and Committee Procedures, Programs, California State PTA Toolkit
Learn more: capta.org